If you have immediate catering needs for your upcoming event, questions or concerns, please email University Events at for assistance.

Food Service Guidelines at various locations on campus

If you plan to have a caterer at your event, please refer to the Catering Services Spreadsheet before submitting an Event Request. The spreadsheet indicates the type of service which can be accommodated in each of the listed event spaces.

Click here to view the spreadsheet for Kennesaw Campus.
Click here to view the spreadsheet for Marietta Campus.

If your desired event space is not listed, please contact University Events at for assistance.

When planning your next event, please use the following guidelines to determine what is considered catering:

What is considered catering?

Catering is defined as food service that meets at least one of the following conditions:

The food to be served is prepared and transported by a licensed restaurant, caterer or other food service provider;

The food requires setup and/or on-site service (such as chafers, sterno or other heat source, banquet attendants, servers, etc.).

What is not considered catering?

Catering does not include regular delivery service from nearby restaurants (e.g., pizza delivery, Jimmy John’s, etc.). When departments, Registered Student Organizations (RSOs) or guests order and pay for pizza or sandwich delivery AND the food is delivered to be consumed within one hour of delivery time, it is to be considered drop-off service and is not considered catering.

Catering also does not include service of casual food items like deli trays, ready-to-eat sandwich platters, bulk coffee, or desserts purchased/picked up at a grocery store or restaurant and brought to campus by a university employee or student AND does not require on-site setup or service.

Note: If your event falls into this category and is not considered catering, the preferred caterer policy does not apply and an exemption request is not necessary.

Are there exceptions to the requirement?

Certain events (to be considered on a case-by-case basis) will be granted an exemption, and external caterers or restaurants will be approved for food service on campus. This requires the completion of an exemption request form, which must be submitted at least ten (10) business days prior to the scheduled event. Submitted requests do not guarantee approval of the waiver and each event will be considered on a case-by-case basis.

Campus Dining & Culinary Services will respond to any exemption requests within two business days and reserves the right to approve or deny any request. Please visit Culinary & Hospitality Services to obtain a copy of the exemption form.

Why must external vendors meet specific requirements?

Per DOAS regulations, vendors doing business with the university must meet standard requirements for insurance coverage. Additionally, food service vendors must have appropriate, acceptable health inspection scores readily available. These guidelines are included in the exemption request form and will be reviewed by Culinary & Hospitality Services when an exemption is requested.

What about donated food?

Donated food items that fall under the above-listed definition of catering will be considered catering.  In order to receive a donation, an exemption request must be submitted and approved by Culinary & Hospitality Services. The reason for this is to ensure the vendor who donates the food is properly licensed and insured.